Monday, May 16, 2011

Get Ready To Be Amazed


Today started out - like I try to start most of my days - up before anyone else, a large cup of java in hand and then up to my "prayer room" to spend some quiet time with God. This is the best part of my day but it wasn't always. I used to dread waking up early to go and read the bible and pray. I always knew it was what I was supposed to do and always envied people that said how awesome their time with God was but I just didn't get it. So, one day I asked the Lord to help me. To give me the desire to want to read His Word and to spend time with Him. I started forcing myself to get up and do it. Then one day very soon after I prayed I realized that the days I didn't spend with God in the morning felt "off". Like I didn't have the peace to get me through when things went wrong. Like I wasn't as patient with my daughter or husband. Like the bounce from my step was missing. I realized I missed spending time with God. I know this may sound a little strange to a lot of you but I'd rather give up my coffee than give up my quiet time - and trust me I LIKE my coffee! The stronger the better! But when I spend time with God I get stronger! He transforms me! He talks to me through His Word! He gives me what a need for the day before I ever need it. Without my knowing I'm going to need it. The more time I spend with Him the more I fall in love with Him. I find that He truly amazes me!  I don't know why I'm amazed. I mean He is God! Still, I want to be amazed everyday! I think it helps me to know that I'm paying attention to the things He's doing in my life.
Here's just a little encouragement for you. Take that first step and ask God to give you the desire to want to read His Word and spend time with Him. You aren't keeping a secret from Him. He already knows that it may be the last thing you want to do. But get ready to be amazed!

No comments:

Post a Comment