Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Better To Give Than To Receive!


Selfishness. The act of being concerned excessively or exclusively with oneself : seeking or concentrating on one's own advantage, pleasure, or well-being without regard for another. That definition explained me and sad to say it still does rear it's ugly head on occasion. I mean, if I don't look out for numero uno, who will, right? Wrong. When we trust Jesus He will look out for us. It's amazing what happens when you forget about yourself for 2 minutes and do something for someone else, not out of selfish ambition, but out of love. The saying "it's better to give than to receive" really is true. When I was going through depression a few years back I started to go and visit people in a nursing home. If anyone had a right to be depressed it was these people. Most of them are put there by family members with good intentions of coming to visit but life happens and the visits get fewer and far between. Most of the people have a room-mate, 1 dresser, 1 tiny closet, a bed, a small t.v. and maybe a recliner. That's it! This is home. Some are happy and thankful, others are, well not so happy. But I learned that a smile from me or a visit from me could brighten up their day. So, I started going more often. Got to know people's names. Started smiling again. Started to realize that I was not concerned with my situation as much. I started coming out of my depression. You know, when someone has too much time on their hands, I think it can sometimes become stomping grounds for the devil to come in and mess with you. So get busy! Do something for someone else. There are so many lonely people in nursing homes that would love to have a visitor or a neighbor that is going through a hard time. Someone that's been out of work that needs groceries or even a home-cooked meal. A friend going through a divorce. A couple that never get a date night because they don't have anyone to watch their kids. Maybe you know someone in prison. Come on - get creative. Get your mind off of yourself and let's make this world a better place to live. Let's start acting like Christians instead of telling everyone we are. Let's truly be the hands and feet of Jesus!


Meet some of my friends at the nursing home!!





MARIE - 92 years young - had a heart attack a year ago but God wasn't ready to take her home yet because she's back to her old young self!
Praise God!
 








  MARY
This is my adopted grandma! She was introduced to me on my 1st visit. Always a smile on her face! Mary will be 84 on April 20. Happy Birthday, Mary!


EMMA
This woman has a mansion or 2 waiting for her in heaven. She's anxiously awaiting the meeting of her Father in heaven. Tears come to her eyes when we talk about this. It's not fear but joy. Emma is 92 - every time I visit she is either reading her bible, a devotional or praying. Thanks for praying for me. Can't wait to spend time with you, my dear sister, in the Presence of Jesus!



No comments:

Post a Comment